Monday, January 16, 2012

I need a stool so I can spit daddy!

About a month ago my 4 year old daughter Ryley informed me that we needed to make a stool so she and her little sister Farryn (2 yrs. old) can “spit” into the sink when they brush their teeth.  After many weekly reminders from my little princesses, I finally purchased a pine board this past weekend to make the much needed stool.
The process began with Ryley telling me that it had to be big enough so that she and Farryn could both stand on it at the same time.  So being that she was the “supervisor” of this project she told Farryn to stand on the pine board and then stood next to Farryn and pointed  down at her feet, “Right there Daddy, that’s where the line goes, that is how big it needs to be!”  Once my “supervisor” determined that the stool was to be 22 inches long, she then demonstrated how high she and Farryn could lift their legs so I would know how high to make the stool.  So we now know we needed a stool that is 22 inches long and 10 inches high.  Ryley then told me, “it needs a hole in the top, like Grandma’s, cause we have to be able to move it Daddy!”
Ryley then left to spend a much anticipated overnight visit with Nana, leaving Farryn and I to finish working on the stool together.  Farryn enjoyed picking up the small pieces of scrap and using them as building blocks.  She was very protective of her scrap wood I might add.  I was informed a few times, “that’s mine Daddy.”
After all the pieces were cut, we took a small break to go to the local store and get a tea and juice.  After our break we were ready to get back to work and finish the job.  All that was left to do was to sand the pieces and assemble them.  Farryn enjoyed using my sander, she would giggle as it would vibrate in her hand.  Once Farryn had all the sanding done, I used my air nailer and assembled everything.
Once Ryley returns home from Nana’s we will put a clear finish on it.  However I think I will have Ryley and Farryn put their foot prints on the top of it before putting on the final finish.  Especially since I know 22 inches is plenty of room for both girls to stand side by side on the stool.



Update:  Below is the finished stool project.  The girls really enjoyed putting the footprints on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment