Saturday, February 4, 2012

Under-the-Counter K-cup Holder Project

If you have a household anything like mine, your Keurig coffee maker is one of your prize possessions.  Sure the coffee is great and always fresh, but finding the space to store all those K-cups can sure be a hassle.  I looked in stores and online and wasn’t able to find anything that suited me.  So I decided that making an Under-the-Counter K-cup Holder would be my next project, with the help of my two daughters of course.

The project started out well.  I say this because I realized I didn’t have a 1 ¾” inch drill bit, which I would need in order to make the holes to hold the K-cups.  This was a good thing; I love it when a project gives me an excuse to purchase new tools.

Once I had all my materials, I measured the underside of our kitchen cabinet in order to determine the appropriate size.  I then drew a grid on my board to mark where the holes would go for the K-cups.  I drew a line every 2 ½” inches both vertically and horizontally.  Placing the drill bit where the lines intersected in order to drill the 1 ¾” holes, leaving about a ½” between the drilled holes after the 1/4” round over router bit is applied.

For the most part the design is pretty simple, a board with holes in it and hinges, however it was also necessary to add a front/face board so the holder would fit flush and accommodate the magnets.

My daughters enjoyed watching me drill the multiple holes.  Ryley kept asking daddy, “Why are you making tires?”  I had to agree with her imagination, the scrap from the hole drill bit did look like tires to an automobile.  Needless to say, it was at this point my original project was interrupted in order to effectively use my scrap to make primitive car and truck toys using the scrap (tires).

After we finished working for the day, we locked up my shop and went into our house.  For the remainder of the day my daughters played with their new primitive toys.  Truly amazing, all the money spent on toys and they were content playing with scrap lumber primitive cars and trucks.

A few days later I would have paint out in order to imprint footprints on the stool we did two weeks ago (see previous post).  So before putting the paint away, we decided to paint the primitive cars and trucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment